Text Size:


Need to know what to do with an item?

Just type the item in the "Put Waste In Its Place" search by clicking here.

What should I do with my leftover paint?  

  • The recently introduced Provincial Paint Recycling Program allows unused paint be returned to some local businesses during their regular business hours even if you didn't purchase the paint there. Find a paint depot near you by clicking here
  • You can mix leftover paint together and save it for another project to use as primer. But remember, only mix oil paint with oil paint, and latex with latex. Never mix the two.
  • Offer leftover paint to neighbours, friends, or relatives.
  • For small amounts of latex paint (less than 1/4 full) set the can outside and remove the lid to allow the paint to harden. Then dispose of hardened paint in your regular garbage.
  • Paint can be brought to the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Depot. The HHW Depot is open two days a week year-round on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.


Where can I bring used motor oils?
Used oil is hazardous. It contains toxic impurities such as lead and cadmium and must never be disposed of down the drain or in storm sewers. Used oil, lubricating oil, crankcase oil, gear oil and transmission fluid can be properly disposed of at the Household Hazardous Waste Depot at Robin Hood Bay on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

If these days and times do not fit your schedule you can also return used motor oils to an oil retailer, free of charge, where it may be stored and made available to service companies for treatment and reuse. It is cleaned, filtered and given new additives - recycled into a product that is as good as new oil. Contact your local service station for details.

What is the safest way to transport waste from my home?  

  • Use gloves when handling hazardous chemicals.
  • Keep chemicals in their original containers.
  • Ensure containers are clearly labelled and well sealed. Attach your own label if the label has fallen off. Only label the container if you are sure of the name of the chemical. Don’t guess.
  • Don’t mix chemicals. Apart from making disposal difficult, you’ll increase the risk of being exposed to the chemical. In extreme cases, mixing incompatible chemicals will lead to a violent chemical reaction such as fire or explosion.
  • Transport in the trunk of your vehicle or preferably in the back of a truck or trailer. Don’t transport in the passenger compartment - a fallen or leaking container may fill the interior with dangerous vapour.
  • Travel with your car windows down if carrying flammable or odorous materials.
  • Secure containers so they don't fall over or leak. Ensure lids are tightly fitted. Place containers of liquids in a tray or plastic bucket so they do not spill or fall over. Pack powders and solids securely.
  • Keep corrosive chemicals, such as battery acid, away from poisons. Keep oxidizing agents, such as peroxide, away from all other materials.
  • Avoid transporting open or leaking containers. Put into another container and make sure you label it. Moving corroded chemical containers could result in personal harm or the contamination of and/or damage to your vehicle.
  • A potential leaky container can be placed into another container, such as a plastic bucket.
  • Don't forget to label it where possible.
  • Don't transport your chemicals with passengers, food, consumer goods or pets in your vehicle.

Why can’t I put my chemicals in with my regular garbage?
The waste from households collected at curbside is loaded onto a truck where it is compacted immediately. If a hazardous substance is leaked it may ignite or explode in the collection truck, causing injury or affecting the health and safety of the collectors. If a hazardous chemical reaches the landfill, it can find its way into ground water, streams, ponds or the ocean.

What should I do with my household hazardous materials?  

  • Use it up. If you fully use the product for its intended use, there is no need for disposal. In the future, try to use alternative products or only purchase what is needed.
  • Recycle and recover the waste. Many household hazardous materials such as motor oil, antifreeze, and automobile batteries can be recycled through the Multi-Materials Stewardship Board. Other materials such as useable, latex paint can be recovered and used by others. In Newfoundland and Labrador, you can return used lubricating, crankcase, and gear oil, as well as transmission fluid. Consumers can bring used lubricating oil to a return facility or point of purchase, free of charge. Please contact the MMSB for more information.
  • Dry the material. Car wax and oil-based or unusable paint can be dried, if the quantity is small. After air-drying these types of products, double wrap the container in newspaper and throw it out in the regular trash.
  • Bring the material to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility. This is located at the Robin Hood Bay Waste Management Facility, 340 White Hills Road. The facility is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. every Saturday in the spring summer and fall. In most cases, it is best to store the materials in the original container in a safe, dry place until it can be disposed of properly.

What happens at the Household Hazardous Waste Facility?
At the facility, a professional hazardous waste handler will accept your material. After the materials are collected, they are sorted and put in special containers. These containers are then transported to facilities where the materials can be recycled or disposed of properly.

Why do I have to wait in line?
It is important that Household Hazardous Waste is collected in an organized manner. Materials have to be first sorted and identified by a qualified individual and placed in a particular category. If certain Household Hazardous Wastes are mixed or come in contact with one another there could be potential for dangerous reactions. Please be patient.

Who can take material to the Household Hazardous Waste Facility?
All residents from the Eastern Region of the province. It is not for private businesses or other organizations. These groups are required to arrange to have a licensed hauler remove hazardous chemicals from their work sites. If you are a business and would like to get more information on how to dispose of hazardous chemicals, please contact us at 311.

Go Back to Home : Residents

City of St. John's